Our Blog


Should My Dad Move His Money Out of an IRA and Into an Account in My Mom’s Name Before Applying for Medicaid?

Posted by Laura E. Stubberud | Feb 19, 2022 | 0 Comments

Yes, it makes sense to move the Roth IRA into your mother's name. But there is probably no advantage to doing so ahead of time because it can be done when and if your father needs care. Just make sure someone has a durable power of attorney for your father to be able to take this step when and if the time comes.

The Roth IRA would fall within the approximately $137,000 (figure may be higher in some states) that the community spouse may retain and still get Medicaid coverage for the nursing home spouse. However, all but $2,000 of this money must be in the healthy spouse's name. So, if your father needs nursing home care, the funds will have to be transferred to your mother.

Again, this doesn't need to be done in advance. That is because the five-year lookback period for transfers of assets does not apply to transfers between spouses.

About the Author

Laura E. Stubberud

Laura Stubberud has over two decades of experience in the practice of estate and family law in Nevada. After graduation from UCLA, she studied law at Southwestern University School of Law , graduating in 1992. With over 25 years of practice in Clark County, Nevada, Ms. Stubberud has substantial e...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Call us today at 702.625.9260. You’ll receive the highest level of personalized service.