Our Blog


What Do I Do If Social Security Won’t Honor My Mother’s Power of Attorney?

Posted by Laura E. Stubberud | Mar 25, 2022 | 0 Comments

You are right; the Social Security Administration does not honor durable powers of attorney. Powers of attorney are created under state law and are not necessarily binding on federal agencies. A representative payee manages benefit payments for beneficiaries who are incapable of managing their Social Security payments. You need to contact your local Social Security office to apply to be a payee.

If you do become representative payee for your mother, her Social Security payments should not go into your account. You should open a separate account to receive her benefits that should be in her Social Security number, not yours. You may be able to continue to use her current account, but you will need to discuss this with the bank.

For more information about representative payees, click here.

About the Author

Laura E. Stubberud

Laura Stubberud has over two decades of experience in the practice of estate and family law in Nevada. After graduation from UCLA, she studied law at Southwestern University School of Law , graduating in 1992. With over 25 years of practice in Clark County, Nevada, Ms. Stubberud has substantial e...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Call us today at 702.625.9260. You’ll receive the highest level of personalized service.